Sand blasting, also known as abrasive blasting, defines the process of smoothing, shaping and cleaning a hard surface by using compressed air to force solid particles across that surface at high speeds; the effect is similar to that of using sandpaper. A consistent finish is obtainable at corners or crannies.
Characteristics of Abrasive Blasting or Sand Blasting Services
- Remove oil, grease, dirt and other surface contaminants from the surface.
- Restore item to its original condition by removing the rust.
- Remove burrs or edge profiling machined components.
- Deflash metallic and non-metallic parts like aluminium, zinc and plastic parts.
- Remove mill scale prior to painting, bonding or other coating operations.
- Create intricate and bold designs on glass, marble, stone, acrylic, wood, ceramic and other materials.
- Create a matte cosmetic surface finish on products.
- Alter the appearance of molded or stamped products by surface texturing of tooling and molds.
- Remove oil, grease, dirt and other surface contaminants prior to painting, bonding or other coating operations.
- Remove old finishes like chroming, anodizing, in preparation for finishing applications.
SEE RELATED PROCESSES